Zheng Ying, Ph.D.
Increasing evidence indicates that further exploration of cellular quality control system is critical for understanding the basic mechanism underlying neurodegenerative disorders including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. The goal of our studies is to describe how protein, organelle and membrane-less organelle quality control systems, including ubiquitin-proteasome system, autophagy and biomolecular phase separation machinery, fail to protect neurons at disease stages. To this end, we will use cell biology, molecular biology, biochemical approaches and genetic manipulation of animal models to investigate the relationship between these quality control systems and neurodegeneration.
2004-2009 University of Science and Technology of
Ph.D. in Neurobiology, November 2009
B.S. in Bioscience, July 2004
Department of Pharmacology, Soochow University College of Pharmaceutical
2012-2016 Associate Professor
Department of Pharmacology,
2010-2012 Postdoctoral Research Associate with Dr. Arthur Horwich
2004-2009 Ph.D. Student with Dr. Guanghui Wang
Laboratory of Molecular Neuropathology, Department of Neurobiology,
SCIENTIFIC TITLE AND AWARD
2010Qiu Shi Graduate Student Scholarship by Hong Kong Qiu Shi Science & Technologies Foundation
(1Co-first author) (*Corresponding author)
1. Wang H1, Wang N1, Xu D1, Ma Q, Chen Y, Xu S, Xia Q, Zhang Y, Prehn JHM, Wang G, Ying Z* (2020). Oxidation of multiple MiT/TFE transcription factors links oxidative stress to transcriptional control of autophagy and lysosome biogenesis. Autophagy. 16(9):1683-1696.
2. Wang M1, Wang H1, Tao Z, Xia Q, Hao Z, Prehn JHM, Zhen X, Wang G*, Ying Z* (2020). C9orf72 associates with inactive RRAG GTPases and regulates MTORC1-mediated autophagosomal and lysosomal biogenesis. Aging Cell. 19(4):e13126.
3. Xia Q, Wang H, Hao Z, Fu C, Hu Q, Gao F, Ren H, Chen D, Han J, Ying Z* and Wang G* (2016). TDP-43 loss of function increases TFEB activity and blocks autophagosome-lysosome fusion. EMBO J. 35(2):121-42. Notes: Cover story and highlighted in News & Views in this issue.
4. Xia Q, Wang G*, Wang H, Hu Q, Ying Z* (2016). Folliculin, a tumor suppressor associated with Birt-Hogg-Dube´ (BHD) syndrome, is a novel modifier of TDP-43 cytoplasmic translocation and aggregation. Hum Mol Genet. 25(1):83-96.
5. Tao Z, Wang H, Xia Q, Li K, Li K, Jiang X, Xu G, Wang G*, Ying Z* (2015). Nucleolar stress and impaired stress granule formation contribute to C9orf72 RAN translation-induced cytotoxicity. Hum Mol Genet. 24(9):2426-41.